Detaching from work

I'm a big fan of Harvard Business Review.  Not only is the magazine great, they have a fantastic online offering, a lot of which is free.  I particularly enjoy the bloggers.

Gill Corkindale wrote a post recently about work-life balance that included a Top 6 list on how to maintain that balance.  The fifth point particularly resonated with me:

5. Treat time outside work as sacrosanct and refresh yourself. Protect your time outside work as much as you can. You need to be able to switch off from work for your own health and sanity and that of your friends and family.
True that.  It can be difficult at times, particularly when I'm absolutely swamped with work and could use a couple quiet hours at home to try to catch up, but then I remind myself: The work will never end.  No matter how hard I try to catch up... no matter how many hours I devote to work every single day... I'll never be caught up.  There will always be a mountain waiting.  So why sacrifice both family time and "refresh" time to a lost cause?  Not worth it.

Anyway, for those interested in the work-life balance topic, enjoy Corkindale's post:
http://blogs.hbr.org/corkindale/2011/01/detach_yourself_from_your_work.html

1 comments:

Andrea February 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM  

Wise words right there... for workers everywhere. Those who toil at the workplace outside their homes & for those who live in their workplaces. The work never ends... ever. Ever!

Thanks for the reminder!! :-)

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The '30 before 30' project

    1. Learn a new piano piece
    2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
    3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
    4. Fully develop my blogging persona
    5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
    6. Spring clean my house
    7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
    8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
    9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
    10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
    11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
    12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
    13. Go clothes shopping once per season
    14. Finally read the manual for my camera
    15. Buy a pair of TOMS
    16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
    17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
    18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
    19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
    20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
    21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
    22. Go geocaching
    23. Release a book into the wild
    24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
    25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
    26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
    27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
    28. Get another family photo taken
    29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
    30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

    On my nightstand

    Labels