"Teaching" manners

It struck me this past week or so how well Caroline is doing with basic good manners: Please, Thank you, and You're welcome.  With a cheery disposition and completely unprompted, she will say "Thank you" after being given something she wants, or even after receiving a verbal compliment.  If Pete or I thank her for giving us something, she says "You're welcome," and she is now finally saying "Yes, please" on a more regular basis.

Watching Caroline grow up and begin demonstrating traits of a well-mannered little girl made me wonder about how she even got there.  Pete or I never said to her "Say thank you" or "Say please."  We never made a conscious effort at teaching these manners, the way we typically think about teaching or instructing someone to do something.

But, as I thought about it, I realized we've always said please, thank you, and you're welcome to her whenever the occasion arose.  We speak to Caroline the way we want her to speak back to us, and I guess it's actually working.

That's kinda fun.

2 comments:

Andrea February 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM  

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

~Dorothy Law Nolte

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so proud of the way you & Pete are living... and thus the way Caroline is learning.

Love you~ Maw-Daw
xoxoxoxoxo

Fallon February 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM  

Love you too, Maw-Daw. xoxoxo Thanks for those words. You made my week. <3 <3 <3

Also, beautiful poem. Saving it.

Love you.

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The '30 before 30' project

    1. Learn a new piano piece
    2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
    3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
    4. Fully develop my blogging persona
    5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
    6. Spring clean my house
    7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
    8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
    9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
    10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
    11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
    12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
    13. Go clothes shopping once per season
    14. Finally read the manual for my camera
    15. Buy a pair of TOMS
    16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
    17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
    18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
    19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
    20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
    21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
    22. Go geocaching
    23. Release a book into the wild
    24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
    25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
    26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
    27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
    28. Get another family photo taken
    29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
    30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

    On my nightstand

    Labels