The power of routine

I put our daughter to bed every single night.  It's really nice quiet time, and I honestly couldn't tell you which one of us enjoys it more.  Along with this bedtime goes a very specific nightly routine:

  1. Rock in the rocking chair while reading a book
  2. I read the book to her three or four times
  3. She "reads" the book herself after that (which ends up meaning that she opens the book and lays it on her face, because she's typically exhausted by this point)
  4. After a few minutes, I ask her if she's ready to go nigh-night, and she hands me the book and I put her in bed
Now, before I tell the rest of this story, let me give a brief history on Caroline's bedtime habits:
She never gets up out of bed at night after I put her down.  Never.  Never has once.

Two nights ago, I decided to skip steps 3 and 4 above because she was so tired.  She didn't seem to have any interest in reading the book herself after I was done, so once I read the book three times, I put it on her bookshelf and put her in bed.

Not two minutes later, she was back up out of bed and calling for me.  I was really quite confused why she was up out of bed, since she never does that, but we walked back into her room and began rocking in the rocking chair again.  We sat there for a little while, rocking, and she was fidgeting, and I was starting to wonder what it was going to take to get her back into bed.  She just didn't seem ready.

Then she asked for a book.  I handed it to her to let her read it herself; she held it open for barely a minute, then closed it and asked to go nigh-night.  That's when it dawned on me: She just finished steps 3 and 4 of our routine.  I almost laughed out loud, looking at the creature of habit I had sitting in my lap.  I put her back in bed and she didn't budge for the rest of the night.

Once #2 comes around, I'm going to have to make sure her and I keep our nightly quiet time, because she obviously takes it very seriously.

1 comments:

Andrea March 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

Caroline never ceases to amaze me! She is routined but she can adjust it, depending on her surroundings. She has her routine at her own home... and a very different routine when she visits Pocky & Mammy's house for the night.

Adaptable to any given situation... that sounds like a strong woman to me. :-)

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The '30 before 30' project

    1. Learn a new piano piece
    2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
    3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
    4. Fully develop my blogging persona
    5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
    6. Spring clean my house
    7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
    8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
    9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
    10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
    11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
    12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
    13. Go clothes shopping once per season
    14. Finally read the manual for my camera
    15. Buy a pair of TOMS
    16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
    17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
    18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
    19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
    20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
    21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
    22. Go geocaching
    23. Release a book into the wild
    24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
    25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
    26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
    27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
    28. Get another family photo taken
    29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
    30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

    On my nightstand

    Labels