The exhilaration of the promise of Spring

A tale of irony.

Friday evening, I left the office to a very pleasant surprise: Mid-40-degree temperatures.  Now, I'm far from being a Seasonal Affective Disorder sufferer, but Spring is my favorite season solely due to the elation of seeing warmer weather arrive after a long, dismal Winter.  And that is what I experienced walking out of the office on Friday evening.

No.  No... I experienced so much more.

It's a huge understatement to say that this excitement -- this exhilaration -- is sheerly because of warmer temperatures.  There was so much Spring to experience on Friday:
  • A cool (not cold!), fresh breeze that carried a delightful hint-of-rain smell
  • Actually reveling in the breeze instead of pulling my coat hood down lower and bracing myself against the wind
  • Soft, relaxing rain pinging on the windows
  • Sun! Even if it was only occasionally peeking from behind the rain clouds
I wanted to somehow capture everything that all of my senses were experiencing during that short walk through the parking lot.  Take a picture and an audio recording and some futuristic media that can capture smells, and keep it forever, for those moments when I need that renewal.

But I couldn't, so I just walked slowly, soaking in every second of it and knowing more days like this are to come, because this was a promise of Spring.

The funny thing is, I started drafting this post on Friday night, but got tired and waited to finish it today.  Let me just say that it's a good thing March gives us these little nuggets occasionally, because this has been the, umm, "experience" all afternoon:

I'm grateful I had the memory of yesterday as I shouldered my way through the freezing cold today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The '30 before 30' project

    1. Learn a new piano piece
    2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
    3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
    4. Fully develop my blogging persona
    5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
    6. Spring clean my house
    7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
    8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
    9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
    10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
    11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
    12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
    13. Go clothes shopping once per season
    14. Finally read the manual for my camera
    15. Buy a pair of TOMS
    16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
    17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
    18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
    19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
    20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
    21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
    22. Go geocaching
    23. Release a book into the wild
    24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
    25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
    26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
    27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
    28. Get another family photo taken
    29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
    30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

    On my nightstand

    Labels