Morning tea

It's 6am.  I don't have to be at work for another hour yet, but I've been up since 4am with a runny nose, so I'm taking advantage of the quiet time by enjoying a mug of Earl Grey.  If you were sitting here with me at my kitchen table, I would offer you some and we would wake up together.


If you were joining me for tea, you would probably laugh at my deep, raspy, cold-laden voice.  I sound like I should be hosting a midnight radio show on the light jazz radio station.  How do I know this if I'm sitting by myself?  I tried it out.  Hey, it's 6am and I'm the only person awake in the house.  I'm allowed to try out my jazz voice (quietly, of course).

If you were sitting here with me, drinking tea, you would notice that I'm a new consumer of Splenda and soy milk.  In several ways, it's a reminder for me that all us daughters do become our mothers.  Now I actually understand why my mother bought this crap... I mean, bought these delicious alternatives.  Sugar intolerance sucks, but it's better than diabetes, so I count my blessings.

If you were joining me for tea, we would probably talk about the baby growing inside me, because that topic is sheerly unavoidable.  I would tell you about my scheduled doctor's appointment today, and my accompanying food diary, and how this child is a real mover and shaker.  You would ask me my due date, we would marvel at how close it is, we would wonder aloud how Caroline is going to do with the whole thing, and then we would move on to other topics.

If you were sitting here with me at my kitchen table, I would ask you about your day and your plans.  Large or small, a day's plans are important.  They're going to be what consume you for the next 14 hours, and that's a long time.  So I would ask you about that, and how you feel.

And then we would start our day and go our separate ways.  But it's nice to begin with morning tea.

3 comments:

Anonymous March 10, 2011 at 7:03 PM  

This blog entry made me cry... good tears.

:```-)

How I wish I could have been sitting opposite you at that dear table that I remember helping you pick out... that day you were beginning your journey of eventual independence in your new apartment.

How I wish I could have been sitting opposite of you, as we laughed while we reminisced about: the lima bean casserole I made one time, that you kids still tease me about to this very day... and that time I tried my hand at homemade lye soap & how the house smelled like cows in a hot barn for *weeks*, after I had rendered all that beef tallow that the soap recipe called for.... and how the term "Killer Tofu", that you kids came up with, still makes me laugh... and all the co-op trucks that I endlessly waited for (and made you kids wait with me, to help unload)... and our stint of drinking unpasteurized milk straight from the cows on John Saunders farm in Chesterton... and on and on and on.

Not a lot has changed on the old homestead since you grew & flew away. The soy milk has turned into almond milk now & I'm experimenting with dehydrated vegetable storage which is kinda fun! But our flour still comes in 25# sacks & occasionally I order a case of soy "chicken" nuggets or tofu burgers. But no more lima bean casserole. That was a one-time deal. :)

Sharing tea with my oldest daughter, full with her soon-to-be-born infant, in the silence of the early morning... just her & I... at that dear table. Sounds like a slice taken directly out of heaven & delivered to a little town in Michigan... for a mother & daughter to enjoy.

This blog entry was the next best thing, Shishee. What a wonder cyberspace is. Thank you for the cup of tea & the precious visit. May we do it again soon?

Love you~ Maw-Daw
xoxoxoxoxo

Gombojav Tribe March 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

Have you tried Earl Greyer? It's a red rooibos tea that has bergamont in it. I'm a huge Earl Grey fan so I was skeptical. But it is SOOOOOO GOOD. And red tea is a super healthy food--full of antioxidants, settles the stomach (you can even give it to babies with colic!), etc. I've been drinking Rooibos for years, but this week was my first Earl Greyer. It's my new favorite!

(btw, I'm a friend of your Mommy. She sent me over.)

:-)

Fallon March 11, 2011 at 10:22 PM  

Maw-Daw, thanks for your beautiful comment. I loved reading it and think we should *definitely* do morning tea again soon. {{{{}}}} Thanks again, it was beautiful.

Daja, thanks for the Earl Greyer suggestion! It sounds great. I haven't tried it yet, so I'll give it a whirl next time I'm at the grocery store. Thanks for writing!

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The '30 before 30' project

    1. Learn a new piano piece
    2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
    3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
    4. Fully develop my blogging persona
    5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
    6. Spring clean my house
    7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
    8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
    9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
    10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
    11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
    12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
    13. Go clothes shopping once per season
    14. Finally read the manual for my camera
    15. Buy a pair of TOMS
    16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
    17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
    18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
    19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
    20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
    21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
    22. Go geocaching
    23. Release a book into the wild
    24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
    25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
    26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
    27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
    28. Get another family photo taken
    29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
    30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

    On my nightstand

    Labels