I'm a Toys-R-Us kid

For some reason, I have the old "I'm a Toys-R-Us kid" song stuck in my head today, from the 1980's commercials.  Remember that song?


It made me remember when Toys R Us truly was a magical place.  When I was little, Toys R Us seemed huge.  The shelves reached up to the sky, and had every toy imaginable.  Beautiful, shiny bicycles with streamers in every color of the rainbow.  Dolls and Barbies as far as the eye could see.  And a veritable ocean of video games.

When I was little, we didn't have a Toys R Us in our city, so we would drive an hour to get to one for special occasions.  Birthdays, special accomplishments... a couple times a year, we would make the trip, and I would usually pick out a new video game.  (Yes, I've been playing video games since about 5 years old.)

Stepping into Toys R Us and picking out that perfect video game was just sheer excitement.  The kind of excitement that one just doesn't experience anymore after the age of 7 or 8; it was pure childlike awe.  It was being inside that place that was so huge, smelling of toy new-ness, and feeling so very lucky to be there.  I now wish I had realized how much I should appreciate being little at that very moment.  How briefly we human beings feel magical before reality takes its tole and we become grounded forever.

But today, I remembered that magic.  It's nice to have memories of those moments, and today in particular, I thank my Mom for them.  I'm looking forward to seeing the world anew once again through the eyes of my own daughters.

Happy Mother's Day to every woman who has helped a child see magic in the world.

1 comments:

Anonymous May 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM  

And I hope you had a Happy Mother's Day too, Shishee!! Even though we didn't get to spend it together, I was with you in spirit & in love... and on Facebook. :-DD

My daughter... a mother of two children... sometimes seems hard for me to comprehend.

Either you can't be old enough... or I can't be. Maybe both. <3 <3

Love you!!

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The '30 before 30' project

    1. Learn a new piano piece
    2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
    3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
    4. Fully develop my blogging persona
    5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
    6. Spring clean my house
    7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
    8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
    9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
    10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
    11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
    12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
    13. Go clothes shopping once per season
    14. Finally read the manual for my camera
    15. Buy a pair of TOMS
    16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
    17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
    18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
    19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
    20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
    21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
    22. Go geocaching
    23. Release a book into the wild
    24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
    25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
    26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
    27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
    28. Get another family photo taken
    29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
    30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

    On my nightstand

    Labels