Top 5 things to do with a toddler in St. Joe / Benton Harbor

Being on maternity leave these past six weeks has not only given me a chance to bond with our new baby, but also to spend lots of time with our first child, which has proven to be a very fun and special time.  We've done all kinds of things around town, and have naturally come to a list of our favorites.

  1. Parks
    Cost: Free
    Location: Many scattered throughout St. Joseph
    Conveniently, my maternity leave occurred during a time of year that generally has decent weather.  That's given both Pete and me the chance to accompany Caroline to the Lincoln Elementary School playground and the Tiny Tots park quite a bit.

  2. Library
    Cost: Free
    Location: 500 Market Street, St. Joe
    I think the last thing Caroline is concerned about while at the library is finding a book.  She plays with the puzzles, builds with blocks, plays with the train set, studies the beach wall mural... and then, maybe, picks out a book.  That part is usually my job.

  3. Silver Beach Carousel
    Cost: Depends on # of rides. We typically do 7 rides for $10
    Location: 333 Broad Street, St. Joe
    After just a single trip to the Silver Beach Carousel, there became rarely a day in which Caroline doesn't ask to go bye-bye to ride the "neigh's."  She loves it, and since I accompany her, I don't need to purchase tokens for myself.

  4. Curious Kids' Museum
    Cost: $6/person June thru Labor Day weekend. $4/person non-summer days
    Location: 415 Lake Boulevard, St. Joe
    The increased summertime entrance fee is the downside to living in a touristy location, in addition to the fact that it's usually packed in the summer as well.  But in the non-summer months, it's great.  Caroline loves the volcano slide, the apple orchard exhibit, and the Toddle Farm.

  5. Celebration Cinema
    Cost: $6/person for first matinee. It only gets worse after that...
    Location: 1468 Cinema Way, Benton Harbor
    Caroline enjoyed seeing a movie in the theatre for the most part, but not enough to justify us doing this very often.  Not until she gets older anyway.

Am I missing anything?  Do you have any other fun places to go with your toddler in the St. Joseph / Benton Harbor area?

    1 comments:

    Anonymous June 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM  

    St.Joe is so awesome!! :-)

    Post a Comment

    Twitter Updates

      follow me on Twitter

      The '30 before 30' project

      1. Learn a new piano piece
      2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
      3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
      4. Fully develop my blogging persona
      5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
      6. Spring clean my house
      7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
      8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
      9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
      10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
      11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
      12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
      13. Go clothes shopping once per season
      14. Finally read the manual for my camera
      15. Buy a pair of TOMS
      16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
      17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
      18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
      19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
      20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
      21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
      22. Go geocaching
      23. Release a book into the wild
      24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
      25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
      26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
      27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
      28. Get another family photo taken
      29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
      30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

      On my nightstand

      Labels