The pros and cons of Mom Blogs

My Mom told me about a lovely blog she reads called The Gypsy Mama, so I decided to begin reading it as well.  The writer recently had a baby, and blogs a lot about various motherly escapades, so I knew I would relate to her topics.  (I particularly enjoyed her recent post about her 8 weeks of maternity leave.)

But today's Gypsy Mama post almost made me swear off Mom Blogs forever.  Oh yes, it's absolutely gorgeous -- gorgeous subject matter, incredibly well-written, that tugs at the heart strings and carries a very worthwhile message.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever.  It's truly lovely.

However, while today the Gypsy Mama wrote about how beautiful her unexpected time was with her sons in the middle of the night, I recalled my own night last night when my 2-year-old kept getting up out of bed (over and over and over and over and over) and how angry and frustrated and not beautiful I was dealing with the whole thing.  Bedtime is bedtime, not lets-get-back-out-of-bed-for-fun time.  And trying to deal with this from 2:30 - 6:00am tries my patience to the limit.

So then comes the wave of guilt.  The Gypsy Mama can see God in her children's middle-of-the-night visits.  All I see is a 2-year-old keeping me from getting a solid three hours of sleep in between the newborn's feedings.  I'm a terrible mother.  What's wrong with me.  Poor Caroline deserves better.  And so on.  All you mothers out there know the drill.  Like we need any help feeling guilty, at any point, ever.

That's the risk one Mom takes in reading other Moms' blogs, I suppose.  There are moments of absolute understanding and connection, those "Wow, other kids do that crazy stuff too?" moments.  But then there are also those "Wow, that person is a waaay better Mom than me" moments, and those we will have to fight to keep us from feeling guilty, because it isn't worth it.

But I had a hard time with that today.

2 comments:

Anonymous May 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM  

The chick writes for a living... so she's supposed to make "beautiful music" with words. Kinda like actors are supposed to make you believe their roles are for real... when they're actually not, ya know?

She must be pretty good at what she does cos she had you believing every word, didn't she?!!

To be fair, I hadn't been reading her blog very long either, when I sent that link to you about that post of her being a new mom too. I just saw it, thought of you, and popped you off an email with a link to it. I also like her "Five Minute Friday" prompts. Other than that.... pfffftttt.... she can try to fool all the people all the time but it's not going to work. She can't fool me for one minute.

She works for DaySpring... a religious cards & articles company, both online & IRL. She's not about to admit that her child got up in the middle of the night & she told him to get his bad little as* back to bed. She'd probably lose her job.

If I've learned anything in my almost-55 years, darlin', it's this... everybody puts on their underwear one leg at a time... and don't be fooled otherwise.

Lady Di & I were pregnant with our first babies at the same time. "The Prince" was born about a month after you and you know what? Lady Di had to go through hours of agonizing labor to push her baby out the same as I did with you. No matter whether she had a crown on her head or not, she couldn't worm her way out of it. She had to push the same as I did. The doc just probably used jewel-studded forceps instead of stainless steel ones, like my doc used, but that's where the difference ended.

The Gypsy Mama probably screams profanities at her kids the whole time she's marching them back to bed at 2am. And you used to know better than to get out of bed at 2am cos you knew I'd beat your hide all the way back to your bunny-themed bedroom if you did!!

So see what a great mother you are?? You've got me & the Gypsy Mama beat all to hell with your mothering skills. No welt marks on Caroline's butt for getting out of bed so many times... and she hasn't once learned one cuss word that I've ever heard her repeat.

What's wrong with you, Mama Nyce?!! Let's get with the program & lose a little patience, would you puh-leez???!!!!!! Like maybe buy a butt-spankin' paddle & let a few F-bombs fly once in awhile?? If for no other reason than to help ME not feel so damn guilty!

:-/

P.S. It's 12:55am & Austin's just flyin' in... 25 minutes past curfew... and he didn't pull the car in the garage (again!!) like I've told him to do over & over & over & over & over again!! Gawd, I'm gunna KILL that kid!!!

Grrrrrrr!!!!!! >:-(

Fallon May 24, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

{{{{{{}}}}}}

Thanks a bunch, Maw-Daw. Great words of encouragement, as always. :) Made me smile today.

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    The '30 before 30' project

    1. Learn a new piano piece
    2. Complete the Couch-to-5K running plan
    3. Take Hip Hop dance lessons
    4. Fully develop my blogging persona
    5. Find a new hairstyle I like that's not a ponytail
    6. Spring clean my house
    7. Read a total of ten books from TIME's Top 100 list
    8. Get all dressed up and have a fancy, romantic date with my husband
    9. Complete Pimsleur Italian I
    10. Clean off Nan's desk in the corner and make it a proper writing space
    11. Buy new lingerie that is hot, hot, hot
    12. Weed the front flower bed and keep it weedless
    13. Go clothes shopping once per season
    14. Finally read the manual for my camera
    15. Buy a pair of TOMS
    16. Open savings accounts and Roth IRAs for our kids
    17. Take my mom and sister to a live musical
    18. Get down to my pre-kids weight
    19. (Re-)Learn ten constellations
    20. Bake cookies with my oldest daughter
    21. Have a Glee marathon / sleepover with my sister
    22. Go geocaching
    23. Release a book into the wild
    24. Walk / Run / Bike for charity
    25. Take my lunch to work four times a week for a month
    26. Update our very outdated household monthly budget
    27. Mail at least one greeting card to a family member or friend every month
    28. Get another family photo taken
    29. Visit my family (Mom, Dad, siblings) more than I do now
    30. Take in tasty treats to work for my 30th

    On my nightstand

    Labels